Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Ultimate Summer Book for Little Kids

Because today is the first day of summer, I am reminded of one of my favorite, favorite children's book, Summer by Alice Low, illustrated by Roy McKie.


McKie is well known by the books he and Dr. Seuss created together, like 10 Apples Up On Top, In a People House, My Book About Me, etc.  All wonderful books.

But there's something special about Summer. The simplicity and sweetness of Low's poetry, coupled with McKie's joyful and innocent illustrations truly evoke the carefree summer days of childhood.

I encourage everyone to go out and buy a copy if you don't have one already - but get a vintage copy on eBay, because when they reissued it a few years ago they changed the colors and omitted a couple of key pages. (I don't know why some people think they can improve on perfection, but there you have it.) Anyway, there are plenty of decent copies of the old one to be had.

For a wonderful bio on McKie, go here: http://bit.ly/kCoXRS .  That site is www.vintagechildrensbooksmykidloves.com and there's hours of fun browsing there.

Happy Summer everyone, and a special prize to anyone who reads this to their kids by the light of a firefly lantern.

2 comments:

  1. Maggie.. i've just pinned this picture to my "memories" board on pinterest.com, and my caption refers to the jar of fireflies... what wonderful feelings and memories this book evokes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, Erin. I'm going to visit right now!

    ReplyDelete